When choosing a desiccant solution, you have to:
(a) look for desiccant bags (dry bags) or products suited to your needs and
(b) make sure you use the right amount of these moisture absorbers.
Your needs will be determined by the type of cargo you want to transport and the mode of transportation you plan to use.
When the temperature inside a shipping container rises, the trapped air can absorb more moisture. When the temperature decreases, however, the air can no longer hold all the moisture which then manifests in the form of condensation.
So, before settling on a product, ask yourself the following questions.
Are the desiccant bags / products able to:
- Accommodate the cargo’s sensitivity to moisture?
- Protect the cargo during the entire transit period?
- Accommodate the mode of transportation?
- Handle extreme temperature fluctuations?
- Absorb the necessary moisture content?
The Process of Elimination
There are desiccant solutions for different industries, for example the agricultural industry (think cotton, pulses, sesame seeds, spices and sugar, etc.) and the industrial industry (aluminium, automotive, canned goods, electronics, fruit juice, and so forth).
There are also desiccant solutions for different modes of transportation, for example:
- Shipping containers
- Short-haul trucks
- In-the-box application
Desiccant Solutions for Shipping Containers
Many types of cargo transported in shipping containers require proper protection against moisture damage which is caused by inevitable temperature fluctuations that may range from mild to extreme.
But it is not only about choosing the right shipping container desiccant solution. You also have to choose the optimum amount of moisture absorbers.
JB Anderson Desiccant Solutions
We offer a wide range of quality desiccant solutions for shipping containers with optional customised printing at the point of manufacture.
- ProDri: Absorbs approximately 50% of moisture relative to its weight
- StoDri: Absorbs up to 300% of moisture relative to its weight
- StoGel: Up to 300% absorption
- JB Gel: Up to 300% absorption
- JB Gel Ultra: Up to 300% absorption
- JB Gel Express: Up to 400% absorption
- JB Dri: Absorbs up to 300% of moisture relative to its weight
- ProDri and JB Gel Express dry bags boast a rapid absorption rate.
- Easy installation of all dry bag products.
- The design of our StoGel, StoDri, JB Gel, JB Dri, JB Gel Ultra and JB Gel Express dry bags include our unique leakproof membrane technology.
- StoDri, StoGel and JB Gel desiccant bags are recommended by independent insurance brokers for the shipment of agricultural commodities.
- StoDri, StoGel and JB Dri desiccant bags meet the Federation of Cocoa & Commerce Ld. requirements for the shipment of cocoa beans inside containers.
- Our dry bag range has a shelf life of 36 months from date of manufacture which enables the product to absorb moisture over a longer period of time.
How to Determine Your Desiccant Requirements
The optimal ratio of desiccant – for cargo protection and waste reduction – can be calculated prior to transit. Use our free software to calculate the ideal number of desiccants needed for your specific shipment.
Why are We Different?
Many years of experience – combined with relevant insights supported by innovation and testing – are behind our trusted shipping container desiccant solutions.
Not only have we been operating for over 30 years (across a wide variety of markets), but our geographical footprint equips us with knowledge of numerous regions and their climates.
Last but not least, our in-house lab accommodates rigorous product testing and trials. All our desiccant products have undergone the following tests:
- A humidity chamber test
- Independent verification with Intertek
Our StoGel and StoDri desiccant bag solutions have also undergone hydrostatic pressure and tensile strength tests to determine their resistance to pressure from water and to measure seal strength of the bag, respectively.
We also perform a tear propagation resistance test to the membrane of desiccant material.
Get in touch to determine the ideal shipping container desiccant solution for your needs.