Silica gel packets are popular desiccants that offer effective moisture protection in multiple applications – from certain foods and pharmaceuticals to photographic and aviation equipment.
How it Works
The gel, produced in granular and beaded forms, essentially comprises millions of tiny pores able to absorb and retain moisture. So, when placed amongst products that may become exposed to vapour or water – or experience extreme climatic conditions that lead to condensation – they help keep goods dry and consequently safe from damage.
What are the Possible Consequences of not Using Silica Gel Packets?
In some cases, when silica gel packets are not used, edible and non-edible products can become damaged due to excess moisture or condensation which may even lead to mould formation.
The Benefits of Silica Gel Packets
Silica gel packets:
- Are light
- Are noncorrosive
- Have up to 30% absorption capacity
- Deliver optimal performance at 24°C and below
- Appear and feel dry even when fully saturated
Types of Silica Gel
There are different types of silica gel that can be used in desiccant packs, namely:
- Non-indicating: Typically white/transparent and used in sachets and static desiccators
- Indicating / Self-indicating:
- Blue (from the cobalt chloride) that turns pink upon reaching absorption capacity
- Orange (from a high content of methyl violet) that turns green once absorption capacity has been reached
- Partial-indicating: mostly non-indicating beads and a few indicator beads mixed in
The JB Anderson Offering
JB Anderson desiccant products are scientifically formulated to deliver optimal performance. We offer a range of in-the-box desiccant solutions and customised printing is also possible at the point of manufacture.
Our silica gel desiccant product is called JB Silica and has a shelf life of 36 months from date of manufacture, which enables the product to absorb moisture over a longer period of time. These silica gel packets are ideal for in-the-box use in the storage and transport of multiple products including:
- Firearm safes
- Certain foods
- Leather items
- Shoes and clothing
- Optical equipment
- Aviation equipment
- Precision equipment
- Pharmaceutical products
- Photographic equipment
- Electrical and electronic devices
- 0.5 g
- 1 g
- 2 g
- 4 g
- 50 g
- 100 g
- Other as requested
Trusted Product Performance
Like all the products in our desiccant range, JB Silica gel packets undergo certain rigorous tests including:
Moisture Absorption Capacity Test – this is done to validate that the silica gel absorbs at least the minimum specified amount of moisture.
We would love to assist you with a silica gel solution. Get in touch to discuss your needs and requirements.